The initial project focused on the conservation and revitalisation of the rose gardens and surrounding spaces and the provision of new facilities to include community teaching areas, a café and toilets. The new facilities are predominately formed in timber kit and clad in open section rainscreen cladding. The open plan café and cantilevered roof projection is built with a discrete steel frame concealed within the ceiling space of the structure.
The works also included repairs to the walled garden, reinstatement of the cast and wrought iron bandstand and the renovation of the winter gardens glasshouse.
We were involved in the repairs and new build construction at Saughton Park, Edinburgh. One of the existing structures that was covered within our scope of works was the Gorgie Bridge to the south western corner of the site.
The bridge was constructed for the 1908 National Exhibition and is an early example of a reinforced concrete bridge. It comprises of precast concrete balustrades; an in-situ reinforced concrete ribbed deck; and brick piers. The structure was originally coated in a concrete render to provide its monolithic appearance.
David Narro Associates were appointed to provide a structural survey of the existing structure; specification for repairs and further material testing where required. We also advised the Conservation Architect on the finishing renders.
Further upgrades such as renewable energy opportunities, cycle networks & play and outdoor gym provision have been proposed.